When we at Walk Ahead Farms explain how our livestock have been managed, we know first hand what we are talking about.
We are there from day one through processing. We personally transport each animal to the processing facility. Animals are never overcrowded during transport and always have access to clean water and fresh air. They are handled by familiar, knowledgable people and are exposed to no unnecessary stress.
The processing methods are Halal/Kosher and the most humane to the animal. We are literally standing with them to the very end, ensuring all is done properly and with respect. Fewer stress hormones and chemicals are released in the body when things are handled this way and the overall nutrition and quality of the meat is much higher as a result.
Most people understand some of the devastating effects stress can have on the human body such as the weakening of the immune system, culminating in frequent illness and disease. It is no different with animals.
1. The animal is to be properly cared for according to the individual needs of the specific species.
2. Feed must be of the highest quality to ensure proper nutrition, be purchased locally, and available at all times.
3. Animals must have constant access to fresh, clean water.
4. Stocking rates are controlled to give each animal the necessary space to grow, 'spread their wings', interact socially with others and prosper while improving land quality and fertility. This can only be accomplished through intensive management and proper rotation.
5. All are to be treated in such a way that the animals immune system is strengthened naturally to fight off parasites and disease. This is accomplished in part by using NO synthetic inputs such as deworming chemicals, antibiotics and vaccinations. We believe these to be detrimental to the health of the body. All treatments are to be natural, herbally based, which work with the body to help it heal itself.
6. Access to clean and varied grazing is paramount. Even when our rabbits are housed in their off-the-ground, warm season hutches, they receive fresh greens and grass.
7. All life is to be treated with respect, as it is a gift from God. Stress is minimized as much as possible through proper care and abuse of any kind is not tolerated.
Our meats are from disease free animals. Solutions are never added. The outstanding flavor and texture of the meat itself are the direct result of healthy animals receiving the highest quality of care. We take great pride in our animal management practices and believe you can taste the difference in the products we bring to the market.